Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Dear Roomie

Human beings were not meant to live alone. Seeking companionship is as natural for people as spinning webs is for spiders. Almost everything we do is done with others: working, playing, eating, making love, having babies and even going to war. When we recall happy times they are usually the moments spent in companionship with our fellow humans.

Then why, oh why, do the idiosyncrasies of our housemates, lovers and family tend to just drive us ‘round the bend'?

Let me explain: I live in a 5000 sq. ft. heritage home in one of the finest neighbourhoods in the country, in one of the most beautiful (and expensive) cities in North America. My rent includes a very large basement room with a door to the garden, a powder room bathroom, heat, electricity, cable, high speed internet, a twice monthly cleaning team and a variety of household staples. All for only $650.

How do I get away with that? How do I manage to live like a queen on a pauper's income? Well, simply because I’ve chosen to live in a shared home. In addition to the above mentioned benefits, I have many, many other perks. And it's those perks, quirks and other tidbits that I'd like to share with you here in blogland.

We've learned how to not only get along but to live well. Once I get familiar with this technology I'd like to share pics of fabulous parties and insights into how we make it all work and live fabulously on a pittance of a millionaire's income.

1 comment:

Sophie Robertson said...

Great looking blog - best of luck blogging and being blogged!
-Sophie Robertson